[alt-photo] Re: canson opalux and Canson Crob d'Art

Clarence Rhymer crhymer at northwestel.net
Sun Feb 12 08:00:28 GMT 2012

Hello Chris,

I haven't tried the Canson Opalux Translucent, but further to Freestyle
now carrying Canson products, I found Canson Universal Sketch Pads
http://freestylephoto.biz/702193-Canson-Universal-Sketch-Pad-Uncoated-Paper-for-Alternative-Process?cat_id=109
in searching for Canson Crob d'Art.  Crob d'Art is recommended by Mark
Osterman
http://notesonphotographs.org/images/d/d4/Osterman_2007_Making_Albumen_Prints.pdf
and Quin Jacobson
http://studioq.com/blog/2010/10/28/canson-crob-art-paper-albumen.html
for albumen prints.  France Scully gave me some last October, and I have
since been trying to import some from France at a reasonable cost.  It
seems rather light, but works well.  At the end of January, I noticed
the Canson Universal Sketch Pads on Freestyle's site.  They claim it is
identical to Crob d'Art.  I ordered some, but it has not arrived yet, so
I can't comment. It is listed on Freestyle as 96gsm (spiral bound), but
on the Canson site
http://www.lateliercanson.com/fr_fr/canson-crob-art-lisse-80-g-m-bloc-colle-petit-cote-1.html
as 80 gsm and glued in a pad.  Freestyle still has the 9x12 in stock,
and they expect more 11x14 by Feb. 24th.  If anyone has tried this, I
would be interested in their comments.

Cheers,
Clarence in Fort Smith, NT