[alt-photo] Re: Clearprint Vellum 1020 vs 1000H

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Thu Feb 16 16:40:47 GMT 2012

FYI, during an e-mail conversation with Christopher James I checked the
MSDSs of Renaissance Wax and Dorland's wax medium and they are made of the
same ingredients.  This was confirmed by Mark Osterman.  I just checked the
MSDS of Gamblin's wax medium and, as with the other two, it is made of
microcrystalline wax and mineral spirits.  Any differences seem to be the
result of:

1)    The thickness (viscosity) of the mix due to different ratios of
solvent and wax.

2)    The melting point (temperature) of the wax as, for example, Talas
sells a few microcrystalline waxes with different melting points.  This will
affect the way the wax goes on your prints at different room/ambient
temperatures.

3)    I know about the above because quite a few years ago, the late, great
preservationist, Jose Orraca, told me to mix my own using microcrystalline
wax from Talas and mineral spirits available locally.

I don't now if this helps anyone but, basically, it seems that these three
different waxes are very similar.  I am awaiting my

Overseas shipment (here in Barbados) of some Dorlands.  I will confirm when
I feel and try it.

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB