[alt-photo] Re: Clearprint Vellum 1020 vs 1000H

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Thu Feb 16 17:10:18 GMT 2012

DEAR LORIS,

            Easy!  First buy one of the lower melting point waxes.  Then get
some mineral spirits, a.k.a naphtha.

*****The mineral spirits are flammable so work in a well ventilated place.
Also, if, to melt the wax, you will be using a flame like a kitchen gas
burner, you must use a "double boiler".  If you are using an electric heater
there is less risk but you should still use a double boiler in order not to
burn or boil the wax.

            A double boiler consists of a smaller pan sitting in a larger
pan with water in it.  The flame or electric heater boils the water which
transfers its heat to the smaller pan inside.

            Soooooooooooooo, here are the steps:

1)    Melt your wax in the double boiler.  It is easier to melt it if you
shave or cut the solid wax into small chunks.

2)    When it is completely melted and clear turn off your gas or electric
heater.

3)    Then quickly add the mineral spirits while stirring.  Keep stirring
until you have a consistent mixture.

4)    How much mineral spirits?  Depending on your preference for
thickness/viscosity use (by mass) 3 parts wax to one part mineral spirits
for thicker or 2 parts wax to one part mineral spirits for softer, thinner
final wax.

5)    I suggest you start with a small quantity, see how you like it when
waxing prints, and then decide if you want it thicker or thinner when you
mix a larger quantity.

That is about it.

                        CHEERS!

                                    BOB