[alt-photo] Uranotype (was: Re: Daniel Smith paper chart!)

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Mon Feb 20 07:05:00 GMT 2012

> ...a former student who is doing the uranotype ...

I suppose it is Charles Burnett's process, using uranyl nitrate as sensitive
substance. Though modern uranium salts are made from depleted uranium, I am
wondering how you managed its safe use. The problem with uranium salts is,
besides the radioactivity of the prints which is probabily comparabe to that
from radon in a basement, the accidental breathing of its dust. This will
carry radioactivity directly into the lungs, and this is the worst thing
that would happen.
After some experiments with Obernetter cuprotype, I was tempted to try
Burnetts' uranium-copper process (the resulting pigment is a mixture of
uranium and copper ferrocyanide, both red) but the above considerations
about its safe use and disposal made me give up.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group