[alt-photo] Re: Alt-photo-process-list Yosemite Show and Yupo

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 21 03:09:42 GMT 2012

FOr some reason gum layers on Yupo look like pigments out of the tube. Yupo shows what I would call "true" luminosity of pigments. Printed on paper they always come somewhat dull. Another aspect could be due to the photography itself. All the gum printers always complain that gum prints on paper do not photograhs or scan as bright as originals. Yupo seems to bring more luminosity to the photographs (this could be also how my camera was set at the time).There are challenges as well. Yupo is slick and gum laeyrs have to be very thin in order to fomr a good image. I have may pieces that have part of the image just wash off, just slide.Another  aspect of achieving luminosity is to have original images that would show that (photshop adjustments). Luminous and saturated colours are build from the mix of TWO primary colours. The third colour always dulls the mixtuture. Having any residual "vail of the third colour" will result in lower chroma. Clearing the highlights is essential. Of course the most transparent pigments are a must.  My primary pigments are Daniel SMith Quinacridone Rose, PV19. Thalo blue and Nickel Azo yellow (Py150). The yellow is twice as strong as the other two, so dilute it accordingly.  For consistency of my tricolour gums I use stock pigment solutions, they keep indefinitely.As I noticed the gum layer have to be very thin. Diluting with water works great for Yupo as it does not soak anything and it is easy to adjust final gum thickness by adiing water. Foam roller does wonders for smoothing the gum layer. My exposure are short as well. Under a bank of BL tubes they are typically 30-60 seconds. My paper printing would be 60-90 seconds for similar paper printing. How is that for a start Marek   > From: stellaps at cableone.net