[alt-photo] UV light for cyanotypes

Sarah McKemie mckemie_sarah at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 15:16:35 GMT 2012

Hi there,

I am a traditional printer and am just starting to scrape the surface of alt. process.
I teach a intro and advanced darkroom class at a community college and would like to try doing cyanotype's with my adv. class.
To give them (and myself) an introduction to cyanotypes.
However, our class is at night,  so I will need a uv source.

I do not feel confident to make one with wiring, etc. Nor do I have time right now.
I would like to buy something affordable.
In Christopher James, Alternative Processes book, he recommends "1000-Watt Metal Halide Maximizer Grow Light System", from www.hydroponics.net, and he says it is about $250.  Would this be my best affodrable bet, or is something cheaper?

Do you have any ideas?