[alt-photo] Re: Gum over cyanotype question

Mary gneissgirl at spamcop.net
Mon Feb 27 22:05:04 GMT 2012

Thanks for your kind words, Loris! (blush)

Too much blue has not been a problem for me except in a few cases, and
it was usually due to accidental over-exposure, or just poor printing
technique and laziness about curves. In a couple of cases where the blue
was too much, I have gently bleached the print in a very dilute solution
of washing soda (sodium carbonate) for a few seconds, then thoroughly
rinsed before going on to the first gum layer. That tames the blue if
it's too strong. I'm using FAEW, hot and soft press, by the way.

I was of your mind, Diana, before I tried using cyanotype for the blue
parts of the print. Why introduce yet another process and all the
additional steps needed for that? Then I tried it at Chris' workshop in
Montana in 2010 and that convinced me. The main reason I like it is that
it's quick and easy (develops in a few minutes) and provides a nice
framework for the other layers. It requires no dichromate, thus reducing
the total amount I use.....Unless I choose to do an additional final
blue gum layer, as Chris recently mentioned she does. Sometimes I do
that at half strength and it's just enough to put the icing on the cake,
so to speak, bringing it all together.  But in general, it's not an
issue of too much blue with cyanotype, rather too little by the time the
print has all 3 colors on it.

But as has been said hundreds of times about all this stuff, Your
Mileage May Vary!

Glad you pointed to Jim Larimer's gum-over cyanotypes, too. They are
among my favorites.

Cheers,
Mary