[alt-photo] Re: Happy New Year

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 2 04:28:59 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christina Anderson" <zphoto at montana.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2012 7:50 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Happy New Year

> Happy New Year to all! I for one am THRILLED it is 2012
> with a New Year's goal of cutting 17 hours out of my work
> week per week. Now that I've told 400 list members I'll
> have to stick to it. I blame my frozen shoulder on
> excessive mousing, though technically there is no known
> cause.

     You need a larger blanket.
     Today is also my birthday!!!  Can't believe I've been
around this long speaking of being archival.
     AFAIK, Heico, Kodak Hypo Clearling Agent, and Ilford
Archival Wash are all solutions of sulfite although the
anion may vary. For conventional (silver-gelatin) materials
the wash aid is about a 2% solution of sodium sulfite
buffered to neutral pH with sodium metabisulfite and the
presense of a couple of sequestering agents. I think Heico
may use ammonium sulfite. The original Kodak Research Labs
reports indicates that the anion is not important.
     Assuming sulfite is the desired material for clearing
platinum I should think it could be bought in bulk. Some
acids and alkalies can be had from places like swimming pool
places and suppliers of soap making materials, usually at
quite low prices.
     The discussion here seems to indicate that an _acid_
rather than alkaline or neutral bath is desirable for
clearing. If so something other than sulfite or wash aid
would be better. If they are to be used to neutralize the
acid after rinsing in it then the buffered mixture would be
good. An approximatly neutral solution is:
Water..................to make 1.0 liter
Sodium sulfite, desiccated... 15.0 grams
Sodium metabisulfite...........5.0 grams

As a wash aid this should be diluted 1 part stock to 4 parts
water.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA