[alt-photo] tintype developer formula?

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Mon Jan 2 13:54:45 GMT 2012

This, too, from 2002 which I wish I would have come across before I finished the Experimental Book. So far, the only tintype developer (meaning, for liquid emulsion tintype or modern tintype) game in town is Rockland.

Having donme some Tintypes I did use sheets of black anodized aluminum of a
thickness of 0.2mm. You can buy them at suppliers for sheet metal.
Because many developers reduce to dark metallic silver you would need for
Tintypes one which reduces to more bright metallic silver. Otherwise you
would not get a contrasty positiv image.

Here this formula:

Water ca. 50 C 600ml
Hydrochinon 10g
Sodiumsulfit sicc. 80g
Sodiumcarbonat mono 80g
Sodiumthiosulfat 80g
Ammonia 60ml
add cold water to make 800ml
for more contrast add ammonia.

2-5 min inspection development under red light until higlights and halftones
are well out. Short rising, then fixing.

In »Cassel´s Cyclopaedie of Photography« I found, that you can make this
»dry tintype« more similar to the original wet collodium tintype by
varnishing it.

Burkhardt Kiegeland

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com