[alt-photo] Re: Densitometer vs Scanner

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:10:08 GMT 2012

I have both my X-Rite densitometer (can't remember which model but it is
both reflection and transmission) and the densitometer (which is produced
my X-Rite as well) in my Epson V750Pro scanner and while the Epson is a
great piece of technology and I love it as a scannner, my X-Rite
densitometer is a precision machine designed for one specific purpose and I
carefully keep it calibrated. I trust my X-Rite densitometer far more then
I'd trust the densitometer in the scanner when it comes to the most
important things.

If you have a trusted densitometer and you keep it calibrated I would
probably go with that one. The densitometer in the scanner is more then
capable and an excellent option for anyone who doens't already own a
trusted dedicated densitometer but it is just a different piece of
technology and is not a dedicated and maintained device (meaning you
actively keep it calibrated in the same way that you would with a dedicated
device). My $0.02, other's may have other opinions.

-Francesco