[alt-photo] Re: scanner woes

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 4 17:07:42 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dianna Rust" <diannajrust at gmail.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 8:42 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] scanner woes

> Dear List
>
> I wanted to scan some 8 x 10 negatives to enlarge for
> printing.   I currently own an Epson Expression 1680.   My
> old (vintage!) G4 was getting terribly slow, so, after 11
> years, I went the whole hog and bought an iMac with Lion.
> I had no idea there would be no driver to connect my
> scanner with Lion (apparently an Apple issue).   I can
> only get Apple's image capture (very limited), and cannot
> use any Silverfast software as I have done so in the past.
>
> Epson have advised me to look at Hamricks' VueScan.   Does
> anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Also, I wonder if I should bite the bullet and buy
> (painful!) a new flatbed scanner that will work with Lion,
> and that, maybe, there's some decent software out there
> (such as Silverfast) that would be compatible too.
>
> I'm not very tech savy, and using a scanner is just one
> tool to me, but I was enjoying the ability to do so.
>
> Any advice or comments would be very appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Dianna Rust

     I am much more familier with PC than Mac so keep that
in mind. Has the G4 gotten slower or do you just notice it
now?  If its gotten slower it may be that the hard drive is
filling up or needs housecleaning. I don't know what
cleaning features, like a defragmenter, etc., is available
in Mac software. Its very typical for a PC to begin to
operate slowly when the HD is overloaded.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com