[alt-photo] Re: coffee and cyanotype

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Jan 13 14:05:53 GMT 2012

Cyanotype as in the subject line :)

One thing about subject lines: I now have only one year left of the 1994-2004 archive to go through (as I said, 60,000 messages). I have come to appreciate the complete importance of subject lines. I would open 60 emails at once and discard (10 per minute) quickly, just keeping what I was interested in (about 6 processes) and sometimes I would miss something about an important subject if the subject line said "if wishes were swans" and it was about gum!

What I think interesting, in answer to Ryuji's question of why not tannic acid is this: I have always used tannic and gallic as per Ware's suggestion that these two were the most archival...I have them in pound jars, very easy to use. But Rob mentions DEVELOPING in coffee (no wash water first and toning later!) and that is what intrigued me.  I think developing in a tray of tannic or gallic would get costly as you'd have to throw the tray after a session as it gets all blue. I keep a gallon of the tannic mixed up. But everyone (mostly) has leftover coffee in their pots on a daily basis so how cheap would that be!
Chris
PS I will continue to post these unique "blasts from the past." But I promise you, no stain test regurgitation!

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com