[alt-photo] Re: coffee and cyanotype

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:42:31 GMT 2012

Loris,

This is probably a matter of perception here. A slight staining of the
paper base is generally expected with tea toning and tannic acid toning and
many people look for it as an effect of the toning process. For my
particular purposes I was working on a way to get the toning without any
staining to the paper base so my perception is most definitely skewed. Any
stain beyond only the most imperceptible hue is significant to me. If I can
visually see a lowering of my highlight values I'm unhappy and measurements
confirm (using densitometer) that even a slight stain accounts for
substantial density in the paper base which for me is something that is
visually unappealing (again for my purposes, I like it a lot in other
people's work). Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing or inaccurate in my
language. You're correct that there are ways to minimize the stain but even
in those cases the stain is too much for me or it doesn't yield enough
toning effect.

-Francesco