[alt-photo] Re: SG drying/ferrotyping [WAS: Dmax for silver paper]

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 15 03:04:32 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacques Kevers" <jacqueskv at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:55 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: SG drying/ferrotyping [WAS: Dmax
for silver paper]

>I wouldn't dare to put RC paper in a dryer; the
>polyethylene layers might
> melt and leave you with a mess.
> RC glossy papers don't need any ferrotyping, they're
> naturally glossy.
> Jacques

     Kodak recommended drying RC glossy (maybe all RC) using
infra-red heat lamps. Not too hot, as you say the plastic
will melt, but gentle heat. The IR is supposed to make the
blacks blacker. I asked a former Kodak engineer about this
and he confirmed it but did not give me a clear explanation
of why it works. Most have seen the slightly hazy quality of
blacks some RC papers have. The manufacturers seem to have
cured this pretty well but the IR drying might still help.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
dickburk at ix.netcom.com