[alt-photo] Re: New Cyanotype formula

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Sun Jan 15 22:15:24 GMT 2012

Kurt,
I had a conversation with Mike Ware about this. I told him I felt the new cyanotype was too navy and not cyan enough for a tricolor gum over cyanotype for my tastes. But it is certainly MUCH faster which would be great if I preferred it. The other problem was the alkalinity of the papers I use would not be compatible with Ware's formula (it turns lavender). However I have not used Ware's since 2003 and paper changes.

Mike said there was a way to make the navy not so navy if I am remembering the conversation correctly, but I haven't followed up with him on that. Interestingly enough, I was ordering argyrotype chems and new cyanotype chems this week to revisit this issue. But traditional is what I use and teach. To speed it up I use 2A:1B.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com