[alt-photo] Re: Gum washing?

Johnny Brian limnidytis at netins.net
Thu Jan 19 16:31:44 GMT 2012

Thanks for the reply. I use 10% potassium dichromate and the prints have a yellow tint, especially in the highlights. The metabisulfite removes the yellow coloration - I would doubt that it is removing the chromium but probably reducing Cr+6 to Cr+3. I agree that treatment with dichromate does affect the "black" level on the image.

I also found your book very helpful -
Thanks again,
Johnny Brian

A few gum images -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52637134@N03/sets/72157628920297751/

I need to come up with a better way to photograph the prints. I think the heavy glass I used to flatten the print for the photograph and the fluorescent lights added a color cast to the images.