[alt-photo] Re: removing dust off the negatives, physically

Jacques Augustowski py1hy at terra.com.br
Fri Jan 20 15:44:05 GMT 2012

 Ryuji,Try to get an anti-static brush that Kodak and Zone VI made,
also try to rise your RH to at least 65%. The anti static brush uses a
very high voltage to generate the charge.
 Jacques Augustowski
             PY1HY
 On Qui 19/01/12 13:52 , Don donsbryant at gmail.com sent:
 On 1/19/2012 4:43 AM, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
 > I guess the most popular way to get the dust off is to use
compressed
 > air. But this doesn't work depending on the negative carrier. With
 > Doug Fisher's negative carrier, for example, it can’t be done
because
 > the negative will pop out of the carrier.
 >
 > What are people’s experience with other methods? I guess using
brush
 > is the obvious... Do people generally find this to be better? Are
 > there any recommendation on the brush? Would you use watercolor
brush
 > or go to B&H and spend money on the dedicated product? (With or
 > without radioactive polonium.) Do you use this technique with
zerostat
 > gun?
 >
 > When it comes to cleaning dSLR’s sensors, I find the best way was
 > use dry brush. Not as perfect as wet method but a lot faster and a
lot
 > lower risk. A lot of things that can’t be removed by compressed
air
 > can be removed easily with a brush, so I hope this observation also

 > applies to the negatives.
 >
 > --
 > Ryuji Suzuki
 > "Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)
 For light incidental dust on film, carriers, etc. dry Swiffters are
very
 effective, safe, relatively inexpensive and disposable (or reusable
 around the house).
 For cleaning cameras and sensors the Giotto Rocket Blower is safe and

 effective.
 A small dry sable hair brush can also be used on stubborn dust for
negs.