[alt-photo] Re: Ultra Long Exposure Reciprocity Failure?

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 20 16:20:52 GMT 2012

Okay, yeah- I'm thinking the people I know who have done long
exposures like that-- it's been with paper, not film.   I think the
longest I've ever done an exposure, on film, was ~36 hours.  That was
inside and light changed drastically, including total darkness-- After
a certain point, it didn't make any difference-- and the images
weren't overexposed either.  Strange.   That's the extent of my
knowledge on the subject. :)

Diana
On Jan 20, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Francesco Fragomeni wrote:

> [...]
> immediately scanned (only one chance to so this because the scanning
> light
> further exposes the image) and then the rest of the process is
> completed
> digitally. I'm clear on how that particular process works. I'm curious
> about making super long exposures on film and dealing with the
> reciprocity
> thats involved.
>
> -Francesco
>

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Diana Bloomfield <
> dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey Francesco,
>>
>> Maybe I'm still not clear on what you're asking, but I know they're
>> have
>> been a lot of pinhole photographers who have set cameras out for
>> weeks and
>> months at a time.  Greg Kemp, for one, has done that-- months long
>> exposures-- don't know if he used film or paper, though.  I'm sure
>> there
>> are plenty of others out there (mostly pinhole photographers that I
>> know
>> of) who could give you their experience.  Somebody here might have
>> Greg's
>> current email address, too.  The last time I wrote to him, the old
>> email I
>> had bounced back.  (And didn't the Ostermans just have their show
>> at Tilt,
>> from Lacock Abbey, where they had their cameras out for a long
>> period of
>> time (weeks?), or am I mistaken??
>>
>> Diana
>>
>> On Jan 20, 2012, at 9:49 AM, Francesco Fragomeni wrote:
>>
>>  Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the information and insight. I wanted to offer a quick
>>> clarification so that everyone is on the same page as I am when I
>>> say
>>> "ultra long exposures". I'm talking about exposures well beyond
>>> hours. I'm
>>> referring to exposures in the duration of weeks, month, and even
>>> years.
>>> The
>>> extreme nature of such exposures is what led me to believe that
>>> there may
>>> be a possibility that reciprocity failure behaves differently or
>>> becomes
>>> irrelevant entirely with such long exposures. I've done pinhole
>>> exposures
>>> and lensed long exposures into the hours before without much problem
>>> (mainly based on the times that others have provided or basic
>>> guesswork
>>> based on manufacturer datasheet info) but I'm talking about going
>>> into a
>>> whole different realm of long exposure.
>>>
>>> Michael Wesely's work work documenting urban development such as the
>>> re-building of the MOMA building in NY were indeed ultra long
>>> exposures
>>> and
>>> not time lapse. The MOMA images were 34 month exposures through 4
>>> cameras. MOMA invited him to do this project and authorized