[alt-photo] Re: casein history

Joseph Smigiel smieglitz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 16:32:49 GMT 2012

FWIW, I first heard about casein from Ernie Theisen back around 1997.  At that time I hosted a website entitled "Alternative Photographic Processes" on AOL.  Some of Ernie's bromoil and casein work was uploaded to that website along with work done in other processes from list folks like Peter Fredrick (fotempura) , Gene Laughter (bromoil), Karl Koenig (gumoil), (Mark Sink (cyanotype), as well as a few others.

Ernie emailed a recipe and some links about casein bichromate to me and I tried it out about that time.  I liked the process because exposures were shorter than gum, but that also meant I needed to  recalibrate everything.  Since I did not know of any sanctioned pigment-stain test for casein, I put the process aside and never looked back.

Joe