[alt-photo] Re: casein history

Evan J Hughes evan at evanhughes.org
Sun Jul 22 09:44:01 GMT 2012

Hi Chris,

    I have had a chance to experiment a little with the gelatine/casein
carbon tissue and have noticed the following:

Advantages

    1. the casein does add flexibility to the tissue so any soap/sugar
can be reduced which helps the tissue to dry out much more thoroughly
after sensitising.
    2. if the tissue is exposed in front of a hot UV source such as the
sun or an arc-light, it will be far less likely to melt due to the
casein; the additional dryness from point 1 also helps here as there is
much less moisture in the tissue.

Disadvantages

    1. the tissue temporary support must either be removable, or very
thin paper as in development, the alkaline solution needs to be able to
reach the unexposed tissue in order to allow the backing sheet to be
removed.  It is possible to pour a tissue onto waxed glass, and then
remove it as a sheet with no support paper. I have made a print this way
(with gelatine only tissue) however the dimensional stability of the
sensitised sheet of tissue is very poor and the image became
distorted.   If tissue is poured onto a thin transparent support (and
remains stuck to it), the exposure can be made through the support
material and the tissue will develop very well in the alkaline bath as
the unhardened surface is exposed to the alkali directly.  The tissue is
then mated to the final support after development as in the double
transfer method.   I have tried this approach too with a gelatine only
mix and the problem is that the pigment must be ultrafine and of even
particle size; the tissue is poured onto the transparent sheet and the
large pigment particles (soot in my case) settle under gravity to the
lowest point.  This lowest point is now the surface that gets most
exposure and therefore the image develops with a fine layer of rough
large pigment particles across its surface.  The problem is compounded
as when casein is added, the glop takes much longer to gel when pouring
tissues and so the pigment has much more time to settle out.
    2. When the support paper has been removed and development is in
progress, the unexposed tissue 'erodes' rather than melts away as the
alkaline solution dissolves it slowly.   With gelatine only tissue, it
absorbs lots of water in the mating bath and then the heat of the
development water melts the gelatine through the bulk of the tissue
rapidly so the highlight areas lose large quantities of molten gelatine
in a short space of time.  Thus the print develops quickly.   The casein
tissue also absorbs water very well in the mating bath (even with up to
50% casein, water absorption and subsequent final support adhesion were
not an issue), but then in the development bath, the tissue is already
saturated with Ph neutral solution so it is only the exposed surface of
the tissue that can be influenced by the alkalinity.  The print takes
much longer to develop and the highlight detail development is *very*
uneven and blotchy.   If the transparent substrate method of point 1
above is used however, the development would be much better as there is
no mating bath and the tissue will get its first soaking in the alkaline
solution.
   3. the alkaline bath not only dissolves the transferred tissue, it
also slowly dissolves the sizing on the paper that the tissue is mated
too (even though I use gelatine hardened with formalin). If development
takes too long, the image can start to break free from the paper as the
size underneath the image is being broken down. I also had problems with
the pigment that was suspended in the development water stained the
paper in the areas where the sizing had been degraded.  It may mean that
a more alkaline tolerant sizing is needed.

Advantage or Disadvantage

1. The alkaline nature of the bath keeps etching away at the print the
longer it is left, so it does appear to have a contrast reducing effect;
in my case with thin negatives, this is undesirable, but it could be
useful for others.

In conclusion, there does seem to be a practical way to make
gelatine/casein carbon tissue work:

1. pour the glop with very fine and very uniform pigment (such as Indian
Ink) onto a thin transparent substrate (thicker substrates will degrade
image sharpness)
2. expose the tissue through the transparent substrate base
3. develop in the alkaline solution (the transparent substrate and any
sizing on it must be alkaline tolerant)
4. mate to the final support paper using the techniques of double transfer.

   As my soot pigment is course and non-uniform, it does prevent the
process being unusable unfortunately so I think I will stick to gelatine
only for the carbon work, but continue with casein instead of gum for
other printing.    The issues with using the process probably are good
pointers as to why casein never really took off as an ingredient of
carbon tissue.

       Best regards,

              Evan