[alt-photo] Re: Creating Film Negative by Enlarging a Film/ Slide Positive

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 22:37:49 GMT 2012

Dave,
Most of the instructions I've found list TMAX 100 and 400 as good films for
reversal. What about Tri-X? Does it work as well? I've always loved Tri-X
for 35mm and have quite a lot of it so if it works with this film that
saves me some money and waste. Let me know your thoughts. Also, I've always
been a B&W shooter so I'm not working with slide film at the moment, i was
just considering the switch for this particular purpose although reversal
seems like it might just be easier (and less expensive). When you refer to
negative-positive-negative approach do you mean making regular negs in
camera and then contact printing them to positive and then finally
enlarging the interpositives to larger film negatives? I've entertained
this idea as well and would be interested in hearing more on the topic. I
figure I would cut up a developed roll and lay the strips out on an 8x10
sheet of film like making a contact sheet and expose the whole roll at once
and then develop the 8x10 sheet after which I'll have my positives that can
be cut and enlarged onto bigger film. Is this how you'd go about it?

Also, is there a best way to approach exposure in the enlarger/ light
source when contact printing the negs to produce positives and then the
subsequent enlargement to big film negatives? I was told it was as simple
as laying a grey card in the film plane (on top of contact printing frame
for neg to pos phase and under the enlarger lens for the enlargement phase)
and taking a meter reading at the iso of the film and then stop down and
expose. Is this correct? Seems quite simple if this is the case.

Geoff,
I too have used 8x10 primarily. I actually just stepped up to 11x14 and
8x20. I love big cameras and big film but I also love my 35mm Leica lenses
and very much still enjoy shooting 35mm. However, I am a contact printer
and prefer to work with the contact printing workflow far more then
enlarging and on top of that the materials I use require contact printing
in almost every case. So, I've set out to figure out how to enlarge these
35mm negs of mine :)

Would you mind sharing your reversal process as well? I'd be interested to
hear it.

I'm familiar with the copy-print process but in this case it not the method
I'd like to use. Also, the waxed paper techniques are something I'm very
familiar with. I spent a long time working exclusively with paper negative
processes. Great stuff but not ideal for my purposes here.

Thanks for the insight everyone, I look forward to reading your responses
and further comments!

Anyone else listening,
bellow are a few links to reversal process explanations and instructions
that I'm looking at:

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/spqrspqr/photo/bwreversal.html
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/slidesbw.htm
http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/formulary_tech/01-0600.pdf