[alt-photo] Re: Shipping 1/2 gallon of AgNO3

eric nelson emanphoto at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 08:25:00 GMT 2012

In a month or so I'll be seeing how things survived on the boat coming here
to Bangkok. Haven't had a chance to look into the photo scene here yet with
new condo issues to deal with,etc.

To reduce the AgNO3 volume I 1st went looking for a Pyrex cooking pan at
thrift stores w/no luck so I gave up that and looked to our Pyrex cooking
set that states on each piece that it's not for stove top use. So I tested
one caserole dish w/water on a low heat. With no breakage I then changed to
the agno3 solution and got the 1800mls down to a sludgy 400mls as it has
kaolin in it.
The shipper was pretty cool using "photo supplies" & other generic terms to
describe my apothecary and other gear to hopefully ease it's passage
through customs. Gold chloride and other valuable solutions are all in
brown glass bottles so I wrapped them in bubble plastic and then put them
in double ziplock bags.
Fingers crossed all will be well!