[alt-photo] Re: casein

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Thu Jun 14 01:10:01 GMT 2012

Alberto,

> 1) What is "3T dry"?

This is 3 tablespoons/about 30g dry powdered milk. However, it cannot be compared "apples to apples" with dry casein powder because it is mixed with an acid and water and precipitated out to a lesser weight.

When I weighed the final precipitate from this amount, it was about 27 grams. But that was wet weight.

Therefore, I was trying to calculate dry weight of it to compare it with dry weight of powdered caseinate. And dry weight was very close, within half a gram, of the protein content listed in the nutrition label on the package. Maybe just a coincidence.

It is easy to figure out percent solutions of caseinate powders in water, but not so easy, nor predictable to figure out percentage solutions when using skim milk or feta or cottage cheese. So I guess I can only compare wet curd recipes with wet curd recipes and dry caseinate powder with dry caseinate powder formulas.

Ultimately it seems the way it spreads is the ticket, and that will certainly vary with user preference.

Soon I will be using the red iron oxide you gave me last summer to calibrate a layer! So far just cadmium yellow, ultra blue, and cadmium red, because those are the three powdered pigments I have here aside from black.

I find there is hardly any if any flaking with the casein layer even when overpigmented to the point I have to cut back. But when I used the too thick casein it flaked. It sure holds a lot of pigment!

In the 1850s the varying strength of cow's milk was discussed, and city cows were called "cows with the iron tail" and that the milk was not as good as country cows.

Wow, sure got sidetracked into a day of casein for some reason...

Chris