[alt-photo] Re: casein+ alt to dichromate

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 20 17:47:02 GMT 2012

Kees,

Looks like you got it all to work. Congrats on that.

The one other thing to watch out for is how you drop the print into
the peroxide-water development bath. If you partially submerge it for
even a second, and then continue to submerge the rest of the print,
an undeveloped line will appear at the location where the print was
partially submerged, so you have to  drop the whole print into it in
one step. Not sure of the cause. Perhaps the paper fibers act to
separate the peroxide from the water. Nonetheless it quickly becomes
second nature to do it quickly.

Your suggestion that gum is too slow to react perhaps is the problem.
I think that something in the gum may be robbing the oxygen from the
peroxide initially -an antioxidant effect, but that is really only speculation.

Peter Friedrichsen