[alt-photo] Re: uranium nitrate and Robert Schramm

C.Breukel at lumc.nl C.Breukel at lumc.nl
Thu Jun 28 09:51:24 GMT 2012

Bob,

I have a uranium print form Bob Schramm (sorry I do not know his whereabouts, his last messages to the list were of a regretfully political tone as I recall..) as well as I am looking to 2 uranium toned silver gelatine prints. Lovely results indeed, but ask yourself if it is worth it.

I work in a lab and the single substance at that time (roughly 10 years ago) which was on a special safety permit was Uranyl Nitrate. Not that it is radioactive (it is very slightly, I tried toi expose the Uranyl Print to a Xray film..no image) but it is very toxic heavy metal.

Ask yourself if you want to work with it, and do you have the right equipment (fume hood, etc) and means of safe disposal ?

In the end I decided that for me the results were not worth taking the risk with that toxic stuff, so I have send my remaining stock off to Bob..

Bob is (was?) a skilled worker with toxic material, he was a professor in nuclear physics if I am correct and made Daguerreotypes with toxic mercury fumes..

Best,

Cor