[alt-photo] Re: new cyanotype and paper question

zphoto at montana.net zphoto at montana.net
Sat Mar 10 17:35:36 GMT 2012

Dianna,

This is EXACTLY my experience, and with that paper. I have been
testing, as you know, about 20-30 papers with cyano and then argyro
and then pt/pd.
The Arches Hot Press did that pink/beige thing. Pinkish when wet, then
dried to tan. It was different than what I saw on Buxton not clearing,
which was yellow. I solved the Buxton issue with citric acid in my
water, several TB in a couple liters. I did not solve the Arches
problem. It dried ugly pale tan.

I have a picture of Aquarelle, another paper, here:

http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=1953

It is a standardized test of 15 minutes, way over what Ware's requires
(trying to compare 15mn Ware's vs. Traditional) and so my guess is,
though I have not yet gone back and tried it, that the tan could
disappear with a shorter exposure but maybe not. If it doesn't
disappear with shorter exposure or fresher mix, I will cross that
paper off as suitable.

Did you buy Ware's cyanotype already mixed from Fotospeed or mix your
own? I have found a difference between the Fotospeed premixed and my
own mix. It could be the Fotospeed is old. But if you are using your
homemade brew then all bets are off. I have not gone back to using my
homemade on every paper yet to see if the tan problem is the premixed
stuff's problem or the paper problem.

Chris