[alt-photo] Re: Glycerine Developer

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 22 02:56:13 GMT 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "francis schanberger" <frangst at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:33 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Glycerine Developer

> Dear list,
>
> I am in Houston taking in the Russian photography that is
> part of FotoFest
> 2012 and came across a reference to Photo Textile with
> Glycerine developer.
> Does anyone know what glycerine developer is?
>
> The artist in question is Yury Babich.
>
> -Francis
>
> --
> francis schanberger
>
> www.francisschanberger.com

     They may mean Glycin but Glycerin was used in some
developers to control penetration into the emulsion and thus
development time.  It's been too long since I read the
formulas and I don't remember where I saw them.  I am pretty
sure they were used for some early multi-layer color films.
     Glycin was popular in the 1930s for use in combination
with paraphenylenediamine to make very fine grain
developers.  PPD produces extremely fine grain but also has
extremely low activity so was usually used in combination
with something else, often Glycin or Metol, to obtain a less
fine grain but more active developer.  Glycin was also used
in some warm-tone paper developers notably AGFA/Ansco 130
and 115.
     If this developer really calls for Glycerin it may have
something to do with processing an emulsion coated on
fabric.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA