[alt-photo] Re: an alternative to alternative

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 31 18:10:17 GMT 2012

Hey Chris,

That's a really good question.  Sometimes, I think the use of
"historical" in the place of 'alternative' (?) is not an altogether
bad idea.  The problem with that is, it makes us sound like we're
entrenched in the distant past and not really on the "cutting edge"--
of anything.  Not that the cutting edge is the be-all and end-all, but
I know how printers who choose silver gelatin printing (over digital)
are viewed--at least in my area--so I can only imagine how
'alternative' printers are viewed.

But I agree that the problem with 'alternative' does, as you say, make
one ask-- alternative to what??  And the term always makes me think of
'alternative lifestyles,' too.  It's just confusing and doesn't
explain anything.  It just sounds like a big euphemism for something
we'd rather not discuss.   I also agree that, as photographers/
printers, it really does pigeonhole us.  "Hand-applied"  seems about
right.

Ultimately, the ideal would be not to have to use anything specific
like that.  We're all photographers, and there are various ways to
print, and ours is just one way, so why even make a distinction?  By
using these terms, we persist in creating this divide and certainly
set ourselves up for being 'different.'  That could be good, but I
think doing so mostly isolates us (and suggests we somehow think we're
'better than'?).

I've had so many conversations with my gallery owner here about this,
and while he shows a ton of printmaking (mezzotints, monotypes, etc),
and certainly makes distinctions there-- he is insistent that with
photography, it doesn't really matter how an image is printed (nor
what camera was used-- which we don't typically point out)-- what
matters is how strong the final image is, and how it resonates with
the viewer.  He admits that the WAY in which an image is printed is
certainly part of the final look, of course, but he maintains no one
really cares-- ultimately-- about the specific printing method.  Yes--
he's a real gem-- but, sadly, I think he's speaking the truth.

So . . .  my sense is that those courses should simply be under
Photography, and you could call them "Hand-applied Photographic
Printing Processes," to separate it from digital printing-- and, then,
in the description mention which processes that particular course will
offer.

~Diana