[alt-photo] Re: Collodion POP/ Collodio-Chloride/ Collodion Aristotype Paper - Instructions, Books, Resources?

Francesco Fragomeni fdfragomeni at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:40:06 GMT 2012

Clarence,

Thanks for the thoughts on toning. I'll use those baselines as I'm working
with it and getting a feel.

As to the Strontium, it does seem that the choice of that particular
chloride was for the effect of color. Pretty much everyone I've spoken to
with any insight into the process and historical formula have echoed that
but I haven't heard back from Mark yet on the topic. Collodio-Chloride is
already established to be so beautiful that I probably won't mess with the
formula at this point. If Strontium Chloride were more difficult to get a
hold of or expensive then maybe it would be work experimenting with
substitutes, specifically Sodium Chloride, but seeing as it is available
and cheap I just wont worry about it.

As for substituting collodion for gelatin in an developing out formula, you
make a really good point that I'd overlooked. The role of the physical
characteristics of gelatin that play into controlling the growth of silver
halide when the gelatin is sensitized. Surely collodion won't behave in the
same way and while it may be possible to do it probably won't be as simple
as just plugging in collodion and changing nothing else. It is with that
that I probably will just bypass experimenting with the substitute until I
have the time to play around. Collodion would have been a bit easier for me
to work with but I think I can make gelatin work.

Thanks for your help with this!

Best,
Francesco