[alt-photo] Re: Anti-reflective glaze

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 19 18:52:28 GMT 2012

Hey Peter,

From my experience, I think there is a "good" and "bad" anti-reflective glass.  "Museum Glass" (made by Tru Vue, I think) is really pretty spectacular stuff-- and that is what museums use, I believe.  The downside is, it's totally unaffordable for the individual who does not have access to a substantial trust fund.  Someone told me that the manufacturer has a patent on it, which is why it's so expensive.  Not sure-- but I have bought it for very small pieces, because it really is like looking at a print that hasn't been glazed at all.  If I could afford it, that's all I'd ever buy.  And then there's the anti-reflective (or, anti-glare) glass that seems to have a coating over it, so it feels like you're having to wade through a slight film to see the image.  I think it might have a color cast to it as well.  It's affordable, but pretty horrible stuff.  I'd never use it.  Personally, I'd rather use regular glass with all its glare than use that stuff.

I did have a show of alt process work a while ago, where I did not use glass at all.  The work was matted and framed traditionally, but no glass.  It turned out fine, and I actually had more people asking about my work at the opening than I've ever had; I can only believe that's because I didn't use any glazing.  If doing that and using mat-board, an 8-ply mat would be preferable; otherwise, a 4-ply would buckle under changes in humidity.  But my prints and mats came back in pristine shape, so you could think about doing that, too.

I've been on the search for getting away from traditional matting, glazing, and framing for what seems like eons now.  Still found no perfect substitute.

Diana