[alt-photo] Re: 3 color gum and PDN calibration?

Diana Bloomfield dlhbloomfield at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:10:22 GMT 2012

Hey Johnny,

I'll just say first-- that there are many more people on this list who have more years of gum printing behind them than I do, and each of us probably has our own ideas and ways of printing, but I'll just offer what I've found works for me.

I just taught a private gum workshop a couple of weeks ago, and the first thing the woman wrote to me-- after she got home to try it on her own-- was that she had problems with the blue layer.  I think her specific issue was just over-exposure.  She was using the sun, and down here in the sunny Southeast, the sun is actually more intense than my UV print frame we were using.

At any rate, I tried a lot of blue pigments, and they each had their own (bad) issues.  In my experience,  Prussian blue (M. Graham or Daniel Smith) really worked the best.  No staining at all-- which isn't true with some of the other blue pigments I tried.  I also try not to be heavy-handed with it, and-- in the end-- if I need to darken the shadows, I'll just go back over with blue again.  I'd rather do that, than run into staining problems and/or things just getting muddy.  Typically, my exposure time for the blue layer is around 4 minutes, using a UV vacuum print frame.

I know that some people here use cyanotype for the blue layer, rather than a watercolor pigment.  I find the cyanotype layer a little too rich or intense for my images, so I don't use it-- but that's a smart way of getting around the blue pigment issues.  I'm guessing that the cyanotype layer (rather than pigment) would probably make the image a little sharper, or more defined, too-- if you like that sort of thing.

I use Arches Platine for platinum/palladium printing, but I tried it for gum printing, and I did not think it worked at all well.  I now use-- based on suggestions given here on the list-- Fabriano soft-press paper, which I don't even have to size or pre-shrink.  I have printed as big as 16x16 without sizing or pre-shrinking.   It's like a dream, really.  I've used this paper with at least 5 layers, and no staining at all.  I just hope they keep making it and don't change what goes into it.

Okay, so I'm not nearly as precise as you are with measurements-- and never use step wedges-- and have not used the PDN system-- so you can take my wholly intuitive approach for what it's worth-- but I do give my yellow layer a couple of minutes longer than the blue or magenta.  I view the yellow layer as a highlight-- or just to give magenta a slightly different hue, so I don't mostly view yellow as it's own distinct color. (Maybe I have no images with just plain yellow in them. ??)   I've used yellow sometimes where I think it's completely washed off and hasn't added one thing, and then I'll add the magenta layer-- and when all the layers are there-- I see that what initially seemed like a very faint addition of yellow really has made a difference.  So I often think it *looks* like not much yellow has remained, but-- in fact-- (in my experience), it actually has added more than I first thought.  I always use quinacridone gold for the yellow.  For me, the yellow was yet another pigment where I tried several, and I just didn't like the way they worked, and the quinacridone gold seems, to me, to be the perfect color choice, and it performs perfectly.

Hope that helps.  I am 100% sure that others will offer additional and more precise suggestions. ;)

Diana