[alt-photo] Re: 3 color gum and PDN calibration?

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 27 15:23:17 GMT 2012

I've mentioned this before on the list and concur with Diana re Fabriano soft press, a great paper for gum for many reasons. I also get excellent results from the hot press. I use them both without sizing. The only paper I size (with Gamblin PVA) is BFK Rives, but I don't use it very often.

When I started printing gum and calibrating, etc it drove me crazy trying to get what I was looking for. Never thought that the calibration procedure really did anything for me at all. One day on a lark I used one of my platinum palladium negatives and it was perfect. I've used a pt/pd curve for all gum negs since and haven't looked back, beautiful results. I use the negs for both mono and tricolor...

Paul