[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

Charles Berger fotocmb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 08:08:13 UTC 2013

The light restraining effect of dichromate (or DAS) in a  gelatin emulsion
keeps the light from penetrating very deeply into the film regardless of
excess coated film thickness.  Even a clear (no pigment) film with a weak
(say 1%) sensitizer will have far less than a 1 mil depth of hardening.
More sensitizer (or more pigment) will further limit hardening depth .

The apparent "relief"  of carbon tissue has more to do with local
variations in the surface tensions of the processed and dried film layer
than with infinitesimally slight physical differences in d-min and d-max
areas.

Charles