[Alt-photo] Re: DAS

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Tue Apr 23 07:35:08 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

That's very interesting information and completely in line with my observations. This also strengthens my hypothesis that ferric carbon is the absolutely winner concerning relief. It's also in line with Charles remarks about DAS sensitized tissue gelatin thickness optimization. The DAS sensitized tissue that printed best for me is a #200 coating rod coated tissue with relatively much pigment.

The lower pigmented, hand coated 1 mm wet height tissue printed much softer, with less dmax and the relief was stil almost absent. The heavy selfmasking lengthens the tonal scale significantly but also prevented digging deep in the layer. With this tissue though it's very nice printing in 2 or 3 layers with different exposure times!

I will do some more tests with a #90 rod, I don't have the #120 Charles mentioned. Also cutting down Gelatin/DAS ratio might bne an interesting path to go.

Thanks very much for doing these tests!

Kees