[Alt-photo] Re: Brushing gelatin on paper

Luciano Teghillo luciano at lucianoteghillo.com
Sun Dec 15 19:44:31 UTC 2013

Hi Loris,

I am really, really scared of formalin, so I was/am not sure if it's a good idea to pour even a small amount in the hot/fuming gelatin.
I coat twice with gelatin because in the first workshop I attended, the instructor suggested to use two immersion cycles in gelatin (the second after the first one is dried, of course), and a separate hardening bath in formalin. So I kept at it.

I was not trying to reach the same yellowing of the paper, but the fact that my paper was a lot more white, made me think I was doing something wrong, since the tests I did on papers not sized by me where OK.

I have also tried the PVA size but did not pursue (at the time I had other issues), but if I have no luck with the papers suggested by Diana, I will give the PVA glue another shot.

Thanks,
Luciano