[Alt-photo] Re: Brushing gelatin on paper

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Sun Dec 15 22:52:41 UTC 2013

Regarding the yellowing of the gelatin, I recall some people reported the
same issue before. Those people used formaldehyde or glyoxal as their hardener.
These agents were typically used in rather strong concentrations (as they are
somewhat ineffective hardeners) and excess agents can get oxidized to yellow
the paper. When I used to do these things, I used glutaraldehyde (easiest to
buy, fast reaction), bisepoxides (slow reaction but no volatile fume coming out)
or s-triazine hardeners (fast reaction, not volatile but nasty chemical to handle).
These can be used in much smaller quantities to effectively harden gelatin and
I didn't have yellowing problem. If interested, I encourage you to dig up the
archive.

Also, I found foam brush to be a rather poor tool for coating, as it can nap
the surface of the paper. I found a very good tool made for interior wall paints
and also posted a report to this list, probably 5 to 10 years ago.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)