[Alt-photo] Sort-of-Alt fun project

Henry Rattle henry.rattle at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 31 19:43:09 UTC 2013

Forgive me for an only vaguely-Alt posting, but I had a lot of fun with this
over the holiday:

Take a digital photo (e.g. an iPhone photo of the Rialto Bridge in Venice)

Process the photo with an iPad app called "Etchings" which very convincingly
renders your image as an engraving

Make a positive transparency at the required size

Expose a photopolymer plate under the transparency (1 minute, and works fine
with a diffused UV source if you are careful with contact). Wash out plate.

Ink up, wipe plate and print onto a nice printmaking paper

Voila - a 21st-century engraving to give as a present to the folks we were
on holiday with in Venice.

As I say, a bit marginal as Alt - but at least you end up with a real
ink-on-paper image, and a lot of fun!

Happy New Year!

Henry