[alt-photo] Re: Paper issues

Keith Schreiber keith at jkschreiber.com
Sat Feb 16 05:52:11 GMT 2013

Henry & Luciano,

With regard to terminology of surface characteristics of Fabriano watercolor papers:

	US		FR/IT		ES
	Hot Press 	satinata	liso
	Soft Press 	dolce		suave
	Cold Press	fina		fino
	Rough		grossa		gruesso

In the UK, Hot-press is often identified as HOT, as Luciano notes, and Cold-pressed as NOT. Soft-pressed is a surface designation between Hot- and Cold-pressed, and is only available on Fabriano Artistico Extra White. It is less smooth than Hot, but less textured than Cold.

Hope that helps clarify the situation.

~ Keith

PS - A great resource for info about art papers is "Which Paper?" by Silvie Turner.