[alt-photo] Re: On working with hydrochloric acid

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Feb 16 20:35:59 GMT 2013

Marek wrote:

>I have tried oxalic acid with FA hot press and was never 100% happy
>with my workflow. The hydrochloric acid treated sot press was a wow!
>moment for me.

There is a simple explanation for your poor results with oxalic acid.

Oxalic acid is wonderful for many things, but it is not a good choice
for removing the calcium or magnesium carbonate from buffered
paper.  Calcium oxalate is even less soluble in water than the
calcium carbonate you are trying to remove!  So, to the extent that
it reacts with the carbonate, it leaves calcium oxalate in the paper
rather than allowing it to wash out (and to the extent that it
doesn't react, it leaves the original carbonate in the
paper).  Magnesium oxalate is slightly more soluble than magnesium
carbonate, but not enough to make any practical difference.  Oxalates
are also more than moderately toxic.

On the other hand, calcium (and magnesium) acetate, chloride,
formate, and nitrate are all hundreds to thousands of times more
soluble in water than the corresponding carbonates, meaning that
acetic, hydrochloric, formic, and nitric acids are all effective in
solubilizing the buffering agents in paper, allowing them to be
washed out and not leave insoluble products behind.  Citric acid will
also work, but may require more time and multiple fresh baths if the
buffering agent is calcium carbonate.

Best regards,

etienne