[alt-photo] Re: COT320

Christina Anderson christinazanderson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 15:59:33 GMT 2013

Diana,
Yes, B&H has it in stock now.
I posted the marbled/mottled VDB on my website here:
http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=1953
I have to change my story, mea culpa. Both prints that were mottled were by the same student (he did 2 prints for the assignment, not one), so I can't outrule operator error yet.
Not that this is grain by any means, but when this doesn't happen on any other  paper with 16 students I can outrule problems with chemistry or humidity. Then it narrows down to paper (Canson Bristol Smooth) and, still, student error in this case with how he may have coated it. The other student that also did VDB with the same paper did very dark, detailed prints that even if mottling presented itself, it would be disguised by the texture of his images (no lights or skies). Honestly, it looks to me like the coating was done perhaps thinly or quickly and the paper absorbed it differentially. Anyone else see this with VDB? This paper is very very smooth but when it is soaked once it gets a slight cold press texture to it. It also, as can be seen, produces a yummy color with VDB so I might suggest the student puts it through a wash and dry cycle once if he is going to use it in the future. The Canson pad papers have been doing well this year with the students.
Chris
Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com