[alt-photo] Re: Math mystery

Johnny Brian limnidytis at netins.net
Thu Feb 28 23:09:30 GMT 2013

The 37% is on a weight basis. Although it is a gas, it is also a solute. As pointed out, it is a saturated solution. Concentrations should be expressed in correct terms to avoid confusion. Saying 37% = 100% is confusing.

I also agree that formaldehyde is toxic, and I wouldn't use it at home. I've used it the lab over the years, but we have fume hoods to deal with it. I also believe formaldehyde can have residual metals in the solution - don't know how this might impact alt chemistry.

Johnny Brian