[Alt-photo] Re: Food Grade Chemicals

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Thu Jul 11 15:30:05 UTC 2013

DEAR ERIC,
	Many moons have passed, Kimosabe, since my father worked for Merck
and Co...somewhere around the late 30s and then he was a pharmacist's mate
on ships in the Merchant Marines during WW II.  But he taught me at the very
beginning of my photographic endeavors (around 12 years old) that
Photographic Grade chemicals were well below Food Grade in purity and only
slightly better than Technical Grade.  Now this was half a century ago so I
don't know if either the grading system has changed or my memory serves me
properly.  The only time I would truly care about better than food grade
(Lab or Reagent grade) would be with very expensive metal salts (silver,
gold, platinum, palladium) and other reagents in their respective processes.
Other than that you should be fine.
			CHEERS!
				BOB