[Alt-photo] More gum printing

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 28 19:27:54 UTC 2013

All, Another interesting gum printning observation to share. I have been working on my 4 color gums and a few days ago I make a first black pass and I was not happy with it. So I said, what the heck and flipped the paper to the unsized side. The paper is BFK Rives 280 on the reverse side (already soaked) and printed a graphite layer. I was never able to achieve clear highlights with no size before and it looked like the same case now during the soak development. Then I took the sprayer bottle and started spraying as I have been doing now. The highlights cleared just fine. The print has a bit more definition (finer gradation)as compared to the print on sized paper and I would go with less exposure next time. What a surprise! For comparison I have the same graphite layer printed on BFK Rives sized with my typical PVA 1:1 mix.I am not sure if it is the graphite that is so non-staining or perhaps I could go with further layers with no fog or staining. I am printing cobalt blue today. Here is the link to the picture, you have to scroll to the bottom https://plus.google.com/photos/105732508998271877151/albums/5882305049320410433/5884207401141420818?pid=5884207401141420818&oid=105732508998271877151 Marek