[Alt-photo] Re: Video: "David Hockney: Photoshop is boring"

G Schmitz coldbay1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 18:32:41 UTC 2013

I agree with Hockney.  Also, I think the banal nature of much of what
created is not, I think, limited to advertising and commercial
photography/illustration.  I think the work of Marshall McLuhan focusing
on the impact of the "carrier" is particularly relevant.  And that at
least part of the attraction to hand crafted "post factory" processes.

--greg

On 3/26/13 12:24 AM, Evan J Hughes wrote:
> The sad reality is that the vast proportion of photoshop processed
> pictures are generated for advertising purposes; the products they are
> advertising must be selling well, so they keep on using the same style
> of pictures. If their products were not selling, they would keep
> changing their advertising strategy until they did find a method that
> sold the product; they have no compassion towards artists and whatever
> sells, sells.
>
> As so much advertising is done using these sterile over processed
> images, it suggests that many of the advertising companies have been
> 'influenced by' (read 'have copied') advertising from other products
> and companies that have sold well in the past and happened to use the
> type of image that David Hockney was complaining about.
>
> Photoshop can be a great tool if used well and used subtly; it can
> also be the equivalent of 'autotune' in the music industry that allows
> anyone with poor voices to make records that reach the top of the
> charts, as long as they are willing to accept sounding like Metal
> Mickey all the time and never singing live.
>
>    Best regards,
>
>        Evan

===quotes deleted: snip8<