[alt-photo] Re: Math mystery

Kees Brandenburg workshops at polychrome.nl
Fri Mar 1 09:35:00 GMT 2013

On 1 mrt. 2013, at 00:09, Johnny Brian <limnidytis at netins.net> wrote:

> Saying 37% = 100% is confusing.

You are right!
But, speaking of full strength formalin means in this case something different. More like full strength wine. I would consider that, as it comes out of the bottle, also as 100%, while containing13% alcohol,  some flavonoles and a lot of grape juice. If diluted with water ingredients follow the dilution. I would not suggest to do that with wine though! With my post I pointed out that formalin is not the same as formaldehyde. Commercially available full strength formalin is a 37% (saturated) dilution of formaldehyde in water.
Recipes asking for 2,5% formalin, don't expect you to use 2,5% formaldehyde as Jacques found out.

-kees