[Alt-photo] Re: Sulfamic Acid for Paper Acidification

Serdar Bilici sbilici at gmail.com
Sun May 5 09:34:24 UTC 2013

Hi Loris,

I agree that there might be a sweet spot for dmax with HCl, but really why fiddle :)  Sulfamic acid has a great advantage at storage, it is not as corrosive as HCl to metals, so it is safer to work indoors, the prints have better dmax in comparison.

(You already know this bit, but I should include it for other readers)
When I made a research about sulfamic acid and its uses, I have found out that sulfamic acid is used in modern descaling systems to remove calcium deposits instead of HCl. Due it is less corrosive but it has equally strong acidic nature. As you said, probably sulfamic acid leaves the paper in better condition compared to HCl due to its less corrosive nature.

In terms of dmax, HCl treatment gave me the poorest results among the acids I have tested. Although, it was the right choice theoratically, (being a mono-acid, highly water soluble byproduct, fast reaction, good capacity) practically the results were not so appealing. Considering that the fumes of HCl would corrode the metals in the room it is used in time, I understand why it is not the most popular choice to acidfy papers. Proper ventilation is quite important when working with HCl (Dangerous chlorine gas release), on the other hand Sulfamic Acid + Calcium carbonate reaction produces only CO2 gas.

Compared to HCl it is a WIN-WIN.

Regards,
Serdar