[Alt-photo] Re: Was Sulfamic now Argyrotype

Serdar Bilici sbilici at gmail.com
Thu May 9 18:30:36 UTC 2013

Hi Marek,

Let me squeze in a few thoughts...
When I tested HCl with canson montval and FA TW HP (and schoellerschammer)
the dmax with the argyrotype was not bad. Blacks were better than single
coated VDB but not as good as double coated. I did not test HCl with FA EW
SP. And I haven't toned the prints.

Dmax I get with sulfamic acid treated papers were better than HCl treated
papers. And I must say, I have decided not to do VDB anymore after having
such good blacks using argyrotype and SA treated papers. I got great dmax
with FA EW soft press using argyrotype(untoned), the blacks are identical to
the results with masa paper. (I often compare my results with masa paper, I
consider its results as a very good benchmark)

If you can compare the results after trying sulfamic acid treatment, I think
that would be quite informative for everyone. Gold toning was a parameter I
was not able to test by that time, and the toning overall has quite a
dramatic effect on dmax.

Best Regards
Serdar