[Alt-photo] Re: casein and Ferrari red

Guido Ceuppens altguido at gmail.com
Tue May 14 14:03:32 UTC 2013

Christina,
I have used casein with powder pigments and acrylic paints but never with
aquarelle paints. I never saw the curdle or coagulation of the casein as
you described. I have always used powder casein (different
manufacturers/sources,
but now Kremers) made up with ammonium carbonate, borax and lately simple
household ammonia. I keep the casein mixture for not longer than about 3
days (it's so easy to mix) and the mix of pigment/paint, casein and
dichromate for about 24 hours.

Guido