[Alt-photo] Re: Argyrotype on Fabriano Artistico Extra White Soft Press 300gsm (140lb)

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Fri May 17 16:14:14 UTC 2013

Loris,

I scanned examples of two additional argyrotypes on Fabriano Artistico soft press, treated with sulfamic acid..

 https://plus.google.com/photos/105732508998271877151/albums/5878024532012592449?authkey=CMaWrqn036yO6AE

My expose is 6 minutes under the bank of UV BL tubes, almost exactly the same as you do. It is good to notice the consistency of the process in your setup and mine.
I do not see much of graininess in your scan, although I was not able to magnify it. WHat I think that I see
 is the grain of the paper. That might be related on how the sensitizer spreads/soaks into the paper. This does not seems like the grain of the argyrotype process.

If I look carefully at the highlights of my prints I can definitely see the texture of the paper, but no grain to speak off, just very smooth tones.

I also noticed how different is the final color of the untoned argyrotype on Fabriano and Stonegende papers. This must be related to the paper size.

It does look like a very busy argyrotype summer.

Marek