[Alt-photo] Re: B&W toning of cyanotypes

Matti Koskinen mjkoskin at gmail.com
Sun May 19 08:16:27 UTC 2013

On 19.5.2013 8:04, raven erebus wrote:
> Interesting.... I've tried very similar methods and didn't get those
> results.
> By washing soda do you mean calcium carbonate?
> what brand of instant coffee? (it does seem to make a difference)
> And what kind of paper did you use? (my experiments seem to vary greatly
> depending on paper)
>
> Here's my example and instructions for a lovely sepia tone.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/violentbloom/8671043077

Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate, not Calcium nor Bicarbonate used in
baking. The coffee I used is the same  re-branded Deuctsche
Kaffee-extrakt origin, as given in Caffenol Cookbook.  The paper is
Daler-Rowney Aquarelle 300g/m2 Acid free cold pressed A3-pad, which I
cut in two.

I'm thinking that the acetic acid development has something really to do
why the prints get this almost b&w tone. When I've tried toning only
water development, I get brown tone and staining, as I have to tone much
longer.

I've tried green tea also, but never get the truly amazing tone of your
print.

thanks for sharing.

-matti